Thursday, September 11, 2008

Have you ever done something and felt guilty about it even though you know it's ok, and probably the right thing to do?
Well, I am finally weaning Blake. I know some people think I am crazy to have gone 16 months, but I honestly have enjoyed it. At the same time, I have a feeling of relief that I am going to be done soon. To finally have my body back, not be a slave to nursing because if I leave for too long my chest will be killing me. Mostly I feel a little sad. It is hard to explain the feeling of nursing. I have felt that nursing both of my boys was the best gift I could have given them. I was determined to do a year and then of course it went longer. It was actually a gift I gave myself too. It was the only thing that just I could do. Anyone could give a bath, burp, change a diaper, but only I could nurse. It really set a bond that I can not explain. I also know that this is my last baby so it seems a little bittersweet. I won't have that skin to skin contact, the late nights gazing into a new babies eyes. I guess it just seems so final, there will be no more babies after Blake and it makes me want to hang on.
On the other hand, Blake is a very clingy little guy. At any sign of insecurity, the first thing he goes for is my shirt. I think this will help him be a little more independent.
Anyway, this is not in anyway a means to make someone feel bad if they chose not to nurse, just my feelings on what we are going through right now...
Wish me luck..

1 comment:

Sara said...

I can totally relate. I breastfed both of my boths a year each. I always loved, loved, loved it. There was something so natural and puposeful to it! I felt lucky to have such an easy time with because I have heard of so many moms that have struggled. I didn't know you were still nursing. That's GREAT!Good luck with the weaning. Cal is five and just recently stopped grabbing my boobs for comfort!?!